Saturday, November 29, 2014

My 19 year old daughter is living the life we all should

If only I would have lived my youth like my nineteen year old daughter Haley.

I would have done things I love to do everyday and learned with a passion how to be a better person in a way that only having a passion can provide.  

We all went to dinner the night before Thanksgiving. My wife and I sat there surrounded by our daughters, we reveled in our contentment and joy.  They were young and out in the world making their way the best they knew how.

Haley said to me "I think I qualify for an internship with Sub Pop Records".  Sub Pop had releases by by bands like NirvanaMudhoneySoundgarden to name a few.  She earned an internship to get her current job at a record store and is now the only marketing intern for the Tree Fort Fest music festival. She said "I think it would be great experience for me".  I thought to myself "She is living her life like she memorized Robert Greene's book Mastery or something".

She is living... Robert Greene's book Mastery or something.


She is my youngest daughter. Haley started her freshman year of college feeling all the excitement, fear and anxiety of any young person leaving home, moving to another state, not knowing a sole and questioning every move she made...like every freshman. But that is where the similarity ends.

She had stared a music blog when she was a sophomore in high school www.iconicvillage.com . She subscribed to Alternative Press in eighth grade and thoroughly enjoyed turning her friends on to new bands no one had heard of. She knew if a band would do well musically even if the group would implode later due to personality conflicts. She knew just naturally because she loved it, it was her passion.

Haley is working at one of the greatest record stores in the country, The Record Exchange in Boise Idaho.  She earned it by beating out all others for a 3 month internship with the marketing division of the company. She has an amazing wit and personality and with her music knowledge she crushed it and was soon working there.  

While in Seattle for Thanksgiving we went to a huge record store in downtown. She immediately saw they're prices were high, the inventory large and offered no online sales or downloads. 

We drove by the modest offices of Sub Pop Records.  I think an internship there became more of a reality for her. A possibility. One of a million that are out there for her.  I said I was proud of her for following her passion over the mighty dollar. She said "You taught me that Dad"  I hid the lump in my throat and glisten in my eyes and smiled. I could not be more proud.  


(Follow Haley at @_haleywinstead )





No comments:

Post a Comment